More than just words, these are the qualities you can expect from the AGCO Application Equipment Division. For almost 50 years, our equipment has been designed to meet the demands of professionals who depend on their equipment to get the job done.
Our standards are always the same: We’re committed to building and offering the very best line of precision application tools and providing you with advanced technology solutions for accurate record-keeping that meets today’s strict environmental standards. It’s no wonder why we’ve become the most trusted name in application equipment.
Simply put, every one of our machines is engineered from the ground up to do one job, and do it better than any other equipment in the industry with the durability to outlast the competition.
The Spra-Coupe® tradition began in 1961 when John Kirschmann purchased a homemade self-propelled sprayer from a farmer. Over the next 4 years, the Spra-Coupe® product was developed and improved and just over 150 units were manufactured by 1965. As the company continued to grow and the demand for the equipment became strong, the company was eventually purchased by the Melroe Manufacturing Company.
Ag-Chem Equipment Co., Inc. was incorporated by its founder, A.E. McQuinn, in 1963 and began as a distributor of specialized spray equipment used by the agricultural industry. Just four years later, Ag-Chem™ entered the manufacturing arena and produced HAB-8 hydraulic adjustable bander and broadcast boom for field chemical application. Plans for a manufacturing facility were made and land was purchased in Jackson, Minnesota. In 1969 the company became publicly owned following the sale of 100,000 shares of common stock.
The Willmar® story also began in 1963, when six dedicated employees helped the company enter the fertilizer equipment manufacturing business in a small rented shop located at the Willmar, Minnesota airport. Production was limited to a single model of a pull-type fertilizer spreader. In 1964, the Cargill and MacMillian families purchased the company from local investors and later, Cargill, Inc. acquired the company and new manufacturing facilities were built across the road from the original airport location in Willmar's new Industrial Park.
The land purchased in Jackson in 1968 was now home to a 25,192 square foot manufacturing facility to start off the decade. By 1972, the Ag-Gator 754 self-propelled field sprayer enters the marketplace and one year later, the first three wheel applicator with high flotation tires was introduced, the TerraGator® Model 1253 self-propelled applicator. Continuing this pattern of growth and to meet the demands of increased production, an addition to the manufacturing plant was completed in 1974 nearly tripling the size of the Jackson facility.
The needs of the "big operator" met with the introduction of the TerraGator® 2505 in 1976. This five-wheel applicator was roughly twice the size of the 1253. One year later, Ag-Chem™ entered the industrial market, providing equipment for the waste disposal, mining and construction industries. The TerraGator® 1603 was introduced in 1979, replacing the original Model1253, and instantly came to be recognized as the premier high flotation applicator in the industry.
The new decade started off with Ag-Chem™'s first appearance in "The Corporate Report 100", the annual ranking of Minnesota's largest publicly traded companies for 1980. This year also marked the introduction of Ag-Chem™ abroad with the first major sale on the international market. Rickel Manufacturing Co., a company founded by Ed Rickel and known for their "Terra Tires" and Big A® product line, was acquired by Ag-Chem™ in 1983 and one year later Ag-Chem™'s first four wheel flotation unit for agricultural use, the TerraGator® 1664, was introduced.
Reacting to the ag depression of the mid-80's that rocked the very foundation of U.S. agriculture, Ag-Chem instituted cost cutting programs that would pave the way for an improved financial picture. Loyal employees and suppliers played a major role in insuring stability during this difficult time.
By the mid-1980's, more SpraCoupe models were released with larger tanks, water cooled engines and high speed suspension systems.
The biggest and most powerful performer in the agricultural line, the 400 horsepower TerraGator® 1903 was introduced in 1991. In that same year, Ag-Chem™ purchased Lor*Al Inc., a manufacturer of a full line of truck applicators which included the patented "blend-on-the-go" process called SOILECTION.
In 1993, thirty years after the company was formed, Ag-Chem™ introduced a new line of equipment with the RoGator® 664, a high clearance, post-emergence applicator.
The mid-90's saw the expansion of the manufacturing plant in Jackson, the addition of a new 23,040 square foot manufacturing as well as a paved test track. Technological advances such as the SGIS software and FALCON Controller products were also introduced around this time. Since the introduction of the Energized Spray Process (ESP™) system on Spra-Coupe® self-propelled sprayers in the 1990's, row crop and cereal grain producers increased their spray coverage, gained more effective control of their applications and reduced the potential for drift.
In October 1998, AGCO Corporation, acquired Willmar Manufacturing from Cargill, Inc. The current products designed and manufactured by AGCO include the complete line of Willmar® spreaders and tenders and the Wrangler® articulated front-end loader.
The New Millennium
In 2001, Ag-Chem Equipment Company, Inc. was purchased by AGCO Corporation, whose focus is to provide high-tech solutions for farmers feeding the world. AGCO offers a broad range of tractors, combines, sprayers, forage and tillage equipment, implements and hay tools.
Our global brands are among the most recognized and trusted. Technical diversity, multiple brands, and global distribution strength are the keys to AGCO's continued success. Major market share positions in key agricultural markets of the world have been achieved by our strong focus on customer service, leading edge technology and an independent dealer network of more than 2,800 independent dealers and distributors in more than 140 countries.
AGCO's innovative products continuously receive recognition and awards at international exhibitions, but our most coveted award is the recognition of our wide-range of products by farmers and dealers across the globe.